Sunday, 7 August 2011

I've arrived

¡Hola from Lima, Peru!

After arriving in Lima last night around 2:00am - about 16-hours of travelling later - I arrived at my hostel, The Flying Dog and was greeted by some great staff, my own room and a comfy, clean bed!  I was picked up at the airport by a nice old man named Jorge, who was standing outside of the baggage-claim area with a huge sign that read 'SARAH FEWART'…I assumed he meant me, so I gave him my bags and we drove along the South Pacific Ocean (the same water that we see everyday at the end of our street in Victoria) to an area of Lima called Miraflores.  Jorge helped me carry my 50lbs bags up about 100 stairs and then took a 20-minute rest in the hostel lobby.  What a guy!  I got my room key, had a quick tour, bought a bottle of water and packed it in to the sounds of dance music & cars going by outside my room's balcony.

Flying Dog Hostel, Lima
 
I woke up this morning and went to the restaurant next door for some breakfast that's included in my stay here.  I had 4 pieces of toast and 2 eggs.  If you've ever put butter on a few layers of tissue paper and eaten it, I'd assume that it would taste pretty similar to the toast…I've never had bread dissolve in my mouth before.  I had some great coffee and politely told a few people 'no thank you' to the Chiklets and mints they were trying to sell to me off the street as I ate.

I've had a few chances to practice my Spanish already and it's brought back a really great feeling of excitement and independence, knowing that I'm so far away and can communicate with people here.  It's made me so excited to think of how great it'll be after 6 whole months!
August marks the middle/end of their winter and although it's still about 15-20 degrees Celsius, they're certainly dressed for it…everyone has long wool coats on and scarves.  It's making it very easy to spot the foreigners though, still wearing flip-flops and tee shirts.

 I went to the phone store today to attempt to get a Peru phone number, I succeeded at this and even managed to call Mom & Dad at home, but after 2 hours with the phone girl, I'm still not able to text Canada.  I've got 6 months to figure that out, I guess.

So far I've been surprised of how clean it is here, the amount of obvious 'upper class' families and happy to get the next 6 months underway.  1 day down.
Ciao!
my room at the Flying Dog Hostel

View from my room
My room on the top right
 

No comments:

Post a Comment