| La Casa De Los Sanchez - my room is the window on the top, right |
My first week in Los Sanchez was spent reminding myself over and over that I'd been in this situation before, and I know that I can make the best of it. I bought myself a new comforter for my bed & some new pillows, some Lysol wipes, a few fake plants, developed some pictures and rearranged the furniture. Day by day it's becoming my own.
Because it's a "hotel", they clean my room everyday (although, besides emptying my garbage, I haven't quite figured out what else is involved in the "cleaning" process) and my bedding once a week. Not bad! Because it's a hotel, there is no kitchen in my room, which was a concern when arranging to stay there. They are the nicest people and have really welcomed me into the Sanchez family, so much so that I have full access to the hotel kitchen.
I have a mini-fridge in my room in which I keep most stuff, and bought some baskets for a pantry. When it's time to make dinner, I gather all of my supplies in a bag and bring them upstairs to the top floor. The kitchen at Los Sanchez has everything I need, as well as a lot of.....character. Although the idea of an outdoor kitchen in South America sounds exotic, the tin roof and open walls mean that most nights I prepare dinner with my jacket and running shoes on...like camping! Because there is only one light-bulb hanging from the ceiling, I'm getting very good at cooking on an angle, so that my body doesn't block the light on the stove. And to think...at home we complain of cupboard space and what colours of counter-tops wont show dirt.
I have found some spots near my work where I can buy a big healthy lunch (a piece of chicken, vegetables and rice) for 7 soles, or about $2.50. So that's taken some of the heat of trying to prepare lunches at home before heading to work.
Every day things are getting easier and easier and a little bit more familiar.
Day by day.
Because it's a "hotel", they clean my room everyday (although, besides emptying my garbage, I haven't quite figured out what else is involved in the "cleaning" process) and my bedding once a week. Not bad! Because it's a hotel, there is no kitchen in my room, which was a concern when arranging to stay there. They are the nicest people and have really welcomed me into the Sanchez family, so much so that I have full access to the hotel kitchen.
I have a mini-fridge in my room in which I keep most stuff, and bought some baskets for a pantry. When it's time to make dinner, I gather all of my supplies in a bag and bring them upstairs to the top floor. The kitchen at Los Sanchez has everything I need, as well as a lot of.....character. Although the idea of an outdoor kitchen in South America sounds exotic, the tin roof and open walls mean that most nights I prepare dinner with my jacket and running shoes on...like camping! Because there is only one light-bulb hanging from the ceiling, I'm getting very good at cooking on an angle, so that my body doesn't block the light on the stove. And to think...at home we complain of cupboard space and what colours of counter-tops wont show dirt.
![]() |
| the outdoor kitchen at my new place - the utensil drawer was an instant flashback to Merici's kitchen in Cuba |
Every day things are getting easier and easier and a little bit more familiar.
Day by day.

No comments:
Post a Comment