 |
| some of Lima's incredible architecture |
Today marks the end of my first month in Peru! It's hard to believe it's already been so long! These past four weeks have been filled with many firsts, lots of learning, new friends, challenges, new ways of adapting and much more (most of which has probably be lost in translation along the way). I'm really realizing what a comfort it was to have Jane, Scott and Meg in Korea when we were all there - having people to do stuff with, who speak your language is not something to be taken for granted! Last Saturday for example, I went on a 3 hour bus tour, had a long dinner with my book at an Italian restaurant, then went to the movies...a romantic, fun day - me, myself & I!
 |
| the spread, and waiting in the dark for her to arrive |
Last night we had a baby shower for my boss, Paquita. She's due to have a little girl at the beginning of October. The shower was a surprise and we had it at Paquita's parents house - a huge old house. It was fun and really nice to be included and part of the party. Paquita's father is quite old and quite hard of hearing but really took a shine to getting to know me. Between his Peruvian hearing-aids and my Spanish abilities, I'm not quite sure what we talked about for most of the evening. At one point I thought he was telling me how happy he was that I was a new member of their family...smiling politely, I told him "thank you, thank you, I'm so happy too"...he just smiled and looked at me and then the house-keeper piped in and told me that he was explaining to me that Paquita's baby would be his 9th grandchild...it's not always about the Canadian girl, I guess. Our secretary's mom made about 200 party sandwiches, we played games, took pictures and opened presents. Another Peruvian first.
 |
| weekends exploring Lima |
Besides a lot of translating and research projects, one of my other primary jobs at Right To Play Peru has become being the resident English Teacher. 'Sarah Teacher' is back! During my first week I assessed the English levels of all staff, separated them into groups and made a schedule of classes. Every morning I send out an email with the "English Word of the Day" with an example and the Spanish translation. Right now, as I type this, everyone is walking around the office mumbling "shoe. I have two shoes on my feet" to themselves. Lots of ABC's and 123's and it's become a really fun way to bond with everyone.
✉ I received my first package today from mom & dad - loads of magazines, a great picture of Cam at training camp & some Tylenol Cold & Sinus (saving me and any of my coworkers from having to take me to the clinic again). A great surprise!
I spent the early afternoon here watching Cam play in his first game at SMU! Technology is amazing and I was able to stream the game from Starbucks! I tuned in just in time for the announcer to say the name "Cam Stewart"...so awesome! Brendan represented all of us at the game, and brought his camera - so I hope (for his sake!) there's some good shots from the game!
I've also updated my PHOTO ALBUM with new pictures of Lima and my trip to the field. You can also view my photo albums by clicking the link on the right side of my blog page.
If you Play the SLIDESHOW (the option on the bottom, left) you can see the pictures in their full-size.
Ciao for now!
No comments:
Post a Comment